The city’s annual budget represents the city’s operating plan for the fiscal year July 1st to June 30th. The budget is prepared in conformance with the City’s fiscal performance goals and the Code of Iowa. A budget amendment is needed when expenditures for a function (such as Public Safety, Public Works, etc.) will increase over the original adopted amount.
Current and prior year budget documents can be found at the Iowa Department of Management website.
Other budget documents can be found as part of the Council meeting packets in January through March.
In the 2019 session, the legislature passed the SF634 bill, which relates to local government budgets and property taxes. The new law requires all cities to pass a new resolution establishing their maximum property tax dollars to certify for levy (only specific levies), post notification, and hold a public hearing and vote. This new mandate notifies the public of the increased dollars the City will collect over the current fiscal year, regardless of the property tax rate. The link to the "Maximum property tax for specific levies" is listed below and has been filed with the county auditor/recorder. Please read the small print on the Resolution documentation and subsequent filing, as the tax rate for this 2 percent resolution only applies to certain affected tax levies (it does not include the debt service levy, the CIP levy, or any voted levies). This mandate requires that if the increased dollars for these affected levies are more than 102% of the current fiscal year, then Council must approve by a two-thirds majority vote after a public hearing. If 102% or less, then a simple majority vote of the City Council can approve.
FY2022 Budget Estimate - hearing on March 22, 2021
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_FY22 Budget for Times Republican to be printed March 9 2021
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Budget forms for Council Feb 22 2021
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Budget Comparison Report by Fund and Function FY20 to FY22
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Budget Comparison Report Summary by Fund FY20 to FY22
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Cash Balances FY20 thru FY22.xlsx
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Transfers for FY22 for Council Feb 22 2021.xlsx
- 02-22-2021_2021-044_Marshalltown Water Works Budget FY22
- 02-22-2021_2021-045_Capital Plan FY21 to FY25