Citizen Police Academy
Each spring, the department holds a Citizen Police Academy, designed to familiarize participants with department operations. The curriculum and teaching methods are similar to the traditional police academy, but students are not potential police officers. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see what police training might be like and to meet the women and men serving at the police department. This training is appropriate for anyone ages 18-99 regardless of physical ability. All are encouraged to attend.
The purpose of the Citizen Police Academy is to build a better understanding between citizens and the police through education. Participants will become familiar with the operation of the Marshalltown Police Department and gain a deeper understanding of the problems the police and the community are facing. The classes will cover criminal law, police procedures, and community relations. Active class participation is encouraged during each session.
Participants will meet once a week during the ten-week course with the tenth week being a picnic and awards ceremony. If you decide to accept this invitation, it is imperative that you commit to attending the majority of the academy classes. The success of this program depends on the commitment of its students.
- March 21: Chief of Police Introduction, Law Enforcement Technology & Marshalltown Police and Community Team (MPACT).
- March 28: Police K9 program and Drug Task Force.
- April 4: Drunk driving testing and enforcement program.
- April 11: Crime scene processing and 911 operations.
- April 18: Defensive tactics.
- April 25: Traffic stops and building searches.
- May 2: Crisis negotiations and tactical team operations.
- May 9: Bike patrol, weapons, and driving classroom training.
- May 16: Weapons and driving practical exercises.
- May 23: Police reserve program, virtual reality exercises and graduation.
The Citizen Police Academy will begin on March 21, 2023, at the Marshalltown Police Department, 909 South 2nd Street. Graduation is May 23. Classes will be held on Tuesdays from 6:00 to 9:00 pm the entire length of the Citizen Police Academy. The deadline to apply is February 24, 2023. Click here for the application.
Click here for an informational brochure on the program, along with the class schedule. Contact Captain Kiel Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 641-754-5733 for more information.