Urban Bow Hunting
2022 - 2023 Season - September 17, 2022 - January 10, 2023
The Urban Deer Bow Hunting Program is a cooperative effort between the City of Marshalltown and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). The purpose of the program is for deer management within the City limits. The IDNR controls the number of deer hunting licenses issued for hunting within the City limits. (Additional licenses for the identified perimeter areas outside City limits are also available, but not regulated by urban hunting regulations.) The urban bow-hunting license is for hunting during an annually specified season and for antlerless deer only.
Bow Hunting Rules and more
Urban Bow Hunter Permit
The City issues the permit necessary to obtain the urban deer-hunting license. Permits are available with a $10 fee at the Parks and Recreation Department, 10 West State between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The IDNR special urban license may be purchased at The General Store, 116 E Church Street.
To receive the urban bow hunting permit, hunters must meet all the requirements established by the IDNR for bow hunting, and City regulations, when more restrictive than the State regulations.
The City requirements and documentation needed for an Urban Bow Hunting Permit to be issued:
- Proof of successful completion of a ten-hour Bow Hunter Education Course.
- Hunters must show evidence that they have passed a one-time Bow Hunter Education Safety course overseen by the DNR, taught by a certified NBEF Instructor.
- Proof of successful completion of an annual archery proficiency test.
- Hunters must pass an authorized proficiency test each year with the weapon they will use to hunt within Marshalltown.
- A certified International Bowhunter Education Foundation (IBEF/NBEF) instructor must administer the proficiency test.
- Hunters must be 18 years of age, or older, the day of the hunt.
(If a replacement Bow Hunter Safety Education card or certificate is needed, a temporary card may be printed and a plastic card obtained from https://www.ilostmycard.com. Cost for this replacement service will be $10.)
Incentive Program toward an Iowa DNR Special Issue Buck Tag
Incentive for any sex deer licenses will be issued through the Electronic Licensing System of Iowa (ELSI), for the following year’s hunt. ELSI issued any deer incentive licenses will be considered legal licenses from the opening date to the closing date in that respective deer management zone hunt.
Minimum requirements to qualify for an incentive any deer license include
1. A minimum harvest of three does - adult, yearling, or fawn. (Antlerless male deer (button buck, spike buck, and shed buck) are legal quarry, but do NOT count toward an incentive license.)
2. All deer harvests must be visually verified at the Park & Rec office or the Marshalltown Fire Department.
3. All deer harvests must be reported to the Iowa DNR and to the Park & Rec office (type of deer harvested & location).
Female deer not both visually verified through Park & Rec or the Fire Department and reported to IDNR will not be considered eligible to count toward qualifying for an any sex deer incentive licenses.