The City of Marshalltown is required by State law to administer a rental housing code. The City currently has two rental housing inspectors who conduct inspections. All rental units in Marshalltown must be registered with the City. Annual registration forms are mailed to property owners along with the invoice for rental registration fees. Rental units are inspected approximately every three years.
Units are inspected biennially (every 2 years) if they participate in the HUD Section 8 Program, this is a separate inspection from the City municipal inspection.
Annual Registration Rate Information
The 2020 Rental Registration Information is being mailed this week. General information is available online. Payments are due no later than 4:30 PM Thursday, May 21, 2020.
- 2020 Registration Letter - English
- 2020 Registration Letter - Spanish
- Rental Property Contact Information - ONLINE VERSION
- Contact Information Sheet - fillable form
- Rental Property Newsletter - English
- Rental Property Newsletter - Spanish
Rental registrations are billed based on the number of units per tax parcel.
- 1st Unit - $33 per year
- 2nd Unit - $29.75 per year
- 3rd through 12th Unit - $23.75 per year
- All additional units over 12 - $17 per year
Example: 123 Main Street includes 20 rental units.
Fee is calculated as follows:
- 1st Unit (1 x $33.00 = $33.00)
- 2nd Unit (1 x $29.75 = $29.75)
- 3rd-12th Units (10 x $23.75 = $237.50)
- 13th Unit plus (8 x $17.00 = $136.00)
- $33 + $29.75 + $237.50 + $136.00 = $436.25 (the total fee for the building per year.)
The City will charge a late fee of $25 per parcel plus interest for late payments.
New Rental Property Application and Fee Information - Effective 5/1/18
All rental properties are required to be registered and inspected prior to occupancy in the City of Marshalltown.
Effective May 1, 2018 the City of Marshalltown Rental Property Application Fees go into effect.
- Properties which are newly being used as a rental or new construction and are unoccupied at the time of application/inspection must complete the application form and submit the $50 application fee.
- Properties which have been previously occupied as a rental property and not registered prior to the time of application/inspection must complete the application form and submit a $500 application fee.
Changes in ownership of registered rental properties are not subject to the application fee.
Healthy Homes Information
The City incorporates the Healthy Homes principals into rental housing inspections. These are common environmental issues that can contribute to occupant health and safety. Hazards include things such as moisture and mold, trip hazards, fire safety concerns and lead based paint.
For more information on maintaining a healthy home visit any of the following websites.