- Housing & Community Development
- Rental Inspections
The City of Marshalltown is required by State law to administer a rental housing code. The City began contracting certain inspections with Safe Building LLC. All rental units in Marshalltown must be registered with the City. Annual registration forms are mailed to property owners along with the invoice for rental registration fees. Rental units are inspected approximately every three years and fees for the inspection will be applied at the time of the inspection.
Units are inspected biennially (every 2 years) if they participate in the HUD Section 8 Program, this is a separate inspection from the City municipal inspection.
2023 Adopted Changes
On October 10, 2022, the City Council directed staff to begin work on issuing an RFP for Rental Inspection Services and prepare for the adoption of the 2021 International Property Maintenance Code. The following schedule was outlined in the Council meeting memo.
- 10/10/22 – Council Discussion – Propose an update to the rental housing code to transition to the International Property Maintenance Code and move to contracted inspections.
- 10/12/22 – Issue an RFP for Inspection Services
- 10/15/22 – Notify active owners regarding upcoming changes/process
- 10/24/22 – Council Discussion if needed
- 11/2/22 – RFPs Due
- 11/8-11/9 – Interviews/Review of RFPs
- 11/14/22 – Award contract for Inspection Services - Safe Building, LLC has been awarded the Rental Inspections Contract.
- 11/14/22 – 1st Reading of proposed ordinance
- 11/28/22 – 2nd Reading of proposed ordinance
- 12/12/22 – 3rd Reading of proposed ordinance - Adopted Ordinance
- 12/12/22 – Resolution adopting new/amended fees go into effect in part 1/1/23
- Annual Rental Registration Fee - $15 per unit (billing to occur in July 2023 for the City Fiscal Year)
- Inspection fees are based on the number of units per property and paid per inspection
- 1st Unit - $90
- 2nd Unit - $50
- 3rd-15th Unit - $20
- Large building complex 16+ Units capped at $400
- 12/27/22 – Council adoption of Administrative Policy and Procedures
- 12/30/22 - Notify active owners of changes
- 1/1/23 – New ordinance goes into effect along with the transition to contracted inspections
Questions related to the proposed changes can be directed to Michelle Spohnheimer, Housing & Community Development Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Registration Rate Information
Payments may be made by mail to the City of Marshalltown, Accounts Receivable, 24 N. Center Street, Marshalltown, IA 50158, Dropped in the payment box outside City Hall or Pay Online by clicking the link below.
The City will charge a late fee of $25 per parcel plus finance charges for late payments.
Please have the amount of your last payment to the City available in order to pay online. If you do not know that amount e-mail email@example.com.
New Rental Property Application and Fee Information - Effective 5/1/18
All rental properties are required to be registered and inspected prior to occupancy in the City of Marshalltown.
Effective May 1, 2018 the City of Marshalltown Rental Property Application Fees go into effect.
- Properties which are newly being used as a rental or new construction and are unoccupied at the time of application/inspection must complete the application form and submit the $50 application fee.
- Properties which have been previously occupied as a rental property and not registered prior to the time of application/inspection must complete the application form and submit a $500 application fee.
Changes in ownership of registered rental properties are not subject to the application fee.
APPEAL REQUEST FORM - The following form may be used when requesting an appeal to various City codes. (i.e. Dangerous Building Notice)
Frequently Requested Information
Healthy Homes Information
The City incorporates the Healthy Homes principals into rental housing inspections. These are common environmental issues that can contribute to occupant health and safety. Hazards include things such as moisture and mold, trip hazards, fire safety concerns and lead-based paint.
For more information on maintaining a healthy home visit any of the following websites.