The City of Marshalltown will hold a Volunteer Recognition Program on Monday, February 10th, at 4:30pm in City Council Chambers. Mayor Greer will recognize 8 outstanding volunteers who achieved a milestone year of volunteer service in 2019 or who resigned a long-held volunteer position on a board or commission. The public is invited to celebrate the years of volunteer services of the following:
- Norman Bach- 15 Years on the Investment Advisory Board
- Keith Bloomquist- 5 Years on the Planning and Zoning Commission
- Nancy Harris- 5 Years on the Civil Service Commission
- David Norris- 40 Years on the Fisher Community Center Board of Trustees
- Julie Squires- 20 Years on the Fisher Community Center Board of Trustees
- Robert Wenner- 5 Years on the Board of Adjustment
- Sharon Greer- Service on the Planning and Zoning Commission from 1995 to 2019
- Leon Lamer- Service on the Solid Waste Commission from 2003 to 2019
Honorees are invited to stay for the City Council meeting at 5:30pm to be recognized at the beginning of the meeting as well. The public is invited to attend both events.
Recognizing the City’s many volunteers who serve on boards and commissions has been a long-standing priority for At-Large Council Member Bill Martin. "We need these folks to serve in these roles, and I know that they do not get asked to make easy decisions or recommendations. We really could not operate without them," Martin stated. This recognition will become an annual event and recognize those with milestone years of service and those long-standing members who resign their positions.