The month of March is Home Safety Month. There are many small and easy things you can do to protect your family from injuries in the home. Home accidents kill one person every 16 minutes and injure one person every 4 seconds in the U.S.
Here are a few things to look to consider:
- Read warning labels and follow storage directions on household items.
- Store food and non-food items separately.
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home. If you already have smoke detectors in your home, this weekend would be a good time to change out the batteries as you set your clocks ahead for day light savings time.
- Develop a family escape plan.
- Never leave children alone near water, including bathtubs, buckets, and swimming pools.
- Avoid window blinds with looped cords, which can cause strangulation.
- Make sure your home is well-lit.
- Keep floors free of anything that may cause tripping.